- Arsene Wenger reveals how close he was to signing Lionel Messi
- Jose Mourinho: ‘Chelsea star is NOT joining Arsenal’
- Arsenal star vows to reproduce goalscoring heroics
- Roma star wants Arsenal move
- Which Arsenal star is set to miss another SEVEN weeks?
- Ex-Arsenal forward: Gunners should sack “embarrassing” Wenger
- Arsenal star lays into team-mates after Swansea collapse
- Arsenal weighing up move for this Barcelona star
- Dortmund ace to snub Manchester United ahead of £30m Arsenal switch
- Arsenal quoted £40m for ‘next Cristiano Ronaldo’
Lawrenson: The one signing that Arsenal need to make
Former Liverpool defender Mark Lawrenson has written in his Mirror column about Arsenal’s need to sign a striker and he points out that the only player Arsenal must do all they can to sign is Aston Villa’s Christian Benteke.
Their chief executive, Ivan Gazidis, has made it known that they are looking at signing another striker in January.
If I were Wenger I’d give Aston Villa whatever they want for Christian Benteke.
What an option he would give them – particularly with the chances they would create for him.
He needn’t worry about not getting game-time during the second half of the season in World Cup year.
Olivier Giroud can’t possibly play every game with Arsenal fighting for silverware on several fronts.
Benteke would share the load, bully defences and give the Gunners the depth up front that they need.
Arsenal’s chief executive Ivan Gazidis has pointed out the need for a new striker come January as Giroud can not continue to carry the weight by himself. If the powers that be can see for themselves that a new striker is needed then I am sure we will see one being signed in January.
Benteke would be a great signing for Arsenal; he kept Aston Villa in the Premier League last season by scoring 19 goals so we would be getting a striker who does not need time to adjust to the Premier League. Benetke is still only 22-years old which ties in with Arsenal’s policy of buying young players.
It is thought that Villa may want a fee of £25million which may be a bit too high but in the situation Arsenal are in now, we need to spend to get in a quality player.
With the World Cup coming up and Benteke almost certain to be a part of it for Belgium, it makes sense to try sign him this January instead of waiting for the summer when his value could double if he has a brilliant World Cup tournament.